Sunday, January 31, 2010
Making it Half way there
Every year I've been doing some of the same races in the Madison area. I've gotten to know my favorites and have tried new races too. After doing numerous 5Ks and a few 10Ks, I decided the next step was a half marathon. The Madison half marathon is at the end of May. My husband and I signed up for the half. We weren't really following a a training plan which was a mistake. The month of May was a busy month as well. I'm a school teacher so wrapping up the school year is always a rush and we were also in the process of purchasing our first home. We actually closed on the house tow days before the half marathon and moved in the day before. With everything going on we hadn't been running at all. We decided we just needed to wing it. After spending all day moving and unpacking we had to wake up early the next morning to run 13 miles. I was excited about it but not the timing. We started off at a nice slow pace and really enjoyed the spectators who were playing music extremely loud and handing out cups of beer. Josh is quite a bit taller than me and has really long legs. He has to run really slow to stay at my pace. He eventually started walking halfway through and i yelled at him to run. Then he just took off and I didn't see him until the end of the race. I guess we each took "run" in a different way. It ended up being a great race and I neve had to stop to walk. THe post race food was very good as well. THe Madison half marathon is an almost all flat course and has just the right amount of spectators. It was also great weather. Finishing the half marathon was a huge event for me. I came from never running to completing 13 miles. If I can run 13 miles, how about 26.2? After that day I decided someday I wanted to complete a full marathon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment