After that first feeling of completing a 5K, I was hooked. I kept running around my neighborhood, gradually increasing the distance. Then I ran as many 5Ks as my pocketbook could afford. I ran the Shamrock Shuffle for the first time, the Firecracker Run, The Badger Games 5K, the Zoo Run Run and came back to do the Jingle Bell Run again. I was usually staying about the same pace but once in a while I would have a little but faster race time which is a great motivator. The Jingle Bell run this time around was a 10K. Our fist 10K and we were nervous but had another group together through work. Half of us did the 10K, needless to say Josh and I were at the back of the pack. We struggled through that 6 miles at a slow pace. Instead of snow this year we had ice on the sidewalks and paths. We made it through without walking and again it was a huge sense of accomplishment. Not only was it physically challenging but mentally challenging as well and that's why I love the race so much.
Our good friends who got us into running 5Ks decided to take it one step further and run a marathon, the Chicago Marathon to be exact. We heard about all their hours of training and pain and when the big day came we made the trek down to Chicago to be their support teams. Just being the midst of so much controlled chaos was astounding. There were thousands of people supporting loved ones and friends. We managed a tight spot close to the finish line and our friends came in about 1/2 an hour after their projected time. We screamed so loud they managed to hear us and Klare had tears running down her face. They crossed the finish line in about 6 hour and 30 minutes. After meeting them across the finish line you could just see they had a huge runner's high. They were so happy and proud and they deserved to be. Even after running 26.2 miles we all had to walk back to the hotel which was another 2 miles away. Taking in their marathon experience is something I will never forget. Just seeing ordinary people's faces as they cross that finish line is priceless. It's seeing relief, pride and happiness all beaming form their faces. Why wouldn't you want to try that for yourself?
Saturday, January 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment